February 2023 Update
It’s been an eternity since I’ve done one of these posts, actually nearly a year… and a lot has happened since then.
I think the last time I sent off one of these was in April 2022 and I’d just officially started my own expedition company and I had said I was getting ready to leave for Poland.
So to keep things short, I merely made a quick stop in Poland en route to Ukraine to work on a humanitarian project (I might talk about it later, I might not), I came home from that in June and started the process of getting divorced (don’t be worried or sad, it was the most amicable divorce in the history of the world), I ran my very first expedition under my own company to Tajikistan in July (it went well and we’re running it again in August 2023!), I indefinitely postponed my expedition to summit Peak Lenin for August and came home to Alaska to finalize the divorce (in record time, I might add) and start sorting through things and go back to work in order to stuff away as much money as possible, because…
I moved to Colorado in late September, making a road trip out of the journey hitting the Carcross Sand Dunes, Kluane National Park, Jasper National Park, and Banff National Park in Canada. I then went on to spend way too much time in Glacier National Park once I got across to Montana, meaning I ran out of time for Yellowstone and had to beeline through Wyoming to get to Denver and start work.
In November I left to run my next trip to Iran which went from nearly sold out to only two people owing to the protests over there. On the way to Iran though, I visited Azerbaijan for a few days to explore Baku. From there it was back to Colorado to work until running a trip to Socotra in late January through February.
Upcoming trips to join
I’m organizing a couple of more trips to Socotra for April for anyone who is still interested- though the direct flights from Abu Dhabi are sold out for April so you’ll have to fly in from Cairo with a stop on the mainland (email me for info if you are interested, I can also organize visits there year round too).
Aside from Expeditions what’s up Next?
I’m moving next door to Utah to go check it out a bit more here in a few days. Following the move, I’m off to Tbilisi in mid-March to go actually travel around (which I haven’t done in eons to be completely honest) in Georgia until I have to be in Socotra in April.
Following Socotra it’s likely I’m headed off to Ethiopia for a few meetings before I head back to Utah to spend a little time there before I head back off to Central Asia (and also need to decide if I’ll be taking on that Peak Lenin summit in July).
What I managed to publish since April last year
- Qala i Khumb Travel Guide, Tajikistan
- K’esugi Ridge Hike in Denali State Park, Alaska
- Two Day Marrakech Itinerary + Top 10 Things to do
- Visiting the Aral Sea Disaster in Uzbekistan
- Baghdad Travel Guide: 10 Best Things to do
- Kabul Travel Guide, Afghanistan
- A Day Trip to Mosul, Iraq’s Destroyed City
- Isla Holbox Travel Guide, Mexico
- A Guide to Socotra’s Outer Islands
- How to get to Isla Holbox
- How to get to Malwiya Tower in Samarra, Iraq
- How to get to Ruinas Muyil from Tulum
- Must-Try Tajik Food: the Best dishes in Tajikistan
- How to get to Tulum from Cancun Airport
- Tajikistan Visa Guide
- Chichen Itza Travel Guide
- Visiting Liard Hot Springs
- The Best Cenotes Around Valladolid
- Visiting the Painted Mines in Colorado
- How to get to Yanar Dag, Azerbaijan’s Fire Mountain
- Crossing the Astara Border Crossing Between Azerbaijan & Iran
- Canada’s Tiny Carcross Desert
- How to get an Iran Visa on a US Passport
- Kenai Fjords National Park Travel Guide
In the next month or so expect to see more posts from Canada, Saint Maarten, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Botswana, Azerbaijan, and beyond.