One Month Down: 2021
This is going to be a short update because I just don’t have a whole lot to update you all on… but here we go…
A Return to MacDonald Spit
My only “travels”, if you will this month, was on down to Homer and across the bay to stay at Between Beaches on MacDonald Spit. It was work-related as I was shooting some commercial photos for their website (Between Beaches is owned by a family friend, but nonetheless it’s a truly unique spot that I recommend people stay if they can squeeze into their itinerary and budget).
This time I brought my drone and managed to get some really neat shots of it. In all honesty, I didn’t know the water was this color in the winter (in case you’re wondering how it even looks like this, is due to the lack of an algae-bloom, which tends to happen in winter).
Looking forward to Alaska travel in 2021…
My friend Val (oddly enough, we both ended up travel bloggers and went to high school together) has put out a new and updated ebook for Alaska travel and Covid-related rules and info in 2021. The guide gives quick and concise info that I think many of you who might be planning a visit will find useful (and best of all, it’s free!).
New 2021 expedition announcements (and updates)
If you’re on one of my email lists regarding these specific trips, you’ve likely received an update on these departures, but if not read on!
Inertia Network, who I’ve worked with many times in the past has gotten some itineraries ready to go for 2021. I’ve also partnered with Soviet Tours for a North Caucasus itinerary in June 2021, and with Backpack Alaska for an expedition to the Arrigetch Peaks in August 2021.
Socotra: Cancelled, due to flight cancellations, will plan for early 2022. First up will be two different back-to-back Socotra itineraries. The first of which goes to explore the rugged coastline and interior of Socotra Island for 8 days with the option of a 3 day trekking add-on. The second departure will be a 15 day expedition that will explore the outlying islands of the Socotra Archipelago, followed by a 6 day trek back on the main island of Socotra through the haggier mountains. This second departure offers an optional add on for a 5 day expedition in mainland Yemen as well.
Afghanistan: In May of 2021 we have a 13 day Afghanistan expedition on offer to explore the cities of Mazar e Sharif, Kabul, Kandahar, and a 6 day trek in the Hindu Kush mountains that run through the central province of Bamyan.
North Caucasus: Cancelled due to COVID-related restrictions for numerous countries on return home. Will plan to reschedule for a later time. In June 2021 I’m partnering with Soviet Tours to run a 12 day trip that will take a small group through the beautiful mountains and valleys of Adygea, Karachay-Cherkessia, and Kabardino-Balkaria.
Arrigetch Peaks: This is the expedition that was originally planned for 2020, but was shelved due to covid. In early August, Kathryn from Backpack Alaska and I are taking a small group on an expedition to the Arrigetch Peaks in Gates of the Arctic National Park. I am beyond excited for this trip to happen after my own treks on the eastern fringes of Gates of the Arctic last year.
Afghan Wakhan: Cancelled due to Taliban take over of nearly all of the districts in the Badakhshan Province. We hope to be able to run this trip in 2022. In October join us on a trek in the Afghan Wakhan to the Little Pamir in the far northeastern panhandle of Afghanistan, known as the Wakhan Corridor.
*of course, these expeditions are all subject to changes/cancellations due to the ongoing pandemic.
What I published here in January
- Visiting McMurdo Sound, Antarctica
- Plan the perfect visit to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Getting to the Devil’s Pool on Zambia’s edge of Vic Falls
- Everything you need to know before visiting Gates of the Arctic National Park, Alaska
- How to get to Vintgar Gorge, Slovenia
- March 2021 Socotra Coastline & Rugged Interior and Socotra Outlying Islands expeditions
- Pumpkin-potato soup recipe
- May 2021 Afghanistan expedition
- The Grand Pacific Drive road trip from Sydney (including Jervis Bay!)
- Fall 2021 Afghan Wakhan trekking expedition to the Little Pamir
- MacDonald Spit, my favorite coastal Alaska destination
- Visiting Lake Malawi
- 10 day Dominican Republic itinerary
- 1 week Sri Lanka itinerary
- How to get to the Figure 8 Pool in Australia
- 4 day Malta itinerary
- Plan a visit to Bako National Park, Malaysia
- Afghanistan travel guide
- How to get a Denali road lottery permit
- Travel Palau on a budget
- The Eagle + Symphony Lakes hike in Eagle River, Alaska
- 20 off the beaten path destination in Asia to add to your bucketlist
- 3 day Nagorno-Karabakh road trip
- A travel guide to Samarkand, Uzbekistan + the best things to do
- Crossing the China-Pakistan border at Khunjerab Pass
- Bartang Valley travel guide
- Crossing the Tajik-Afghan border at Ishkashim
- Kyrgyzstan travel guide
Features and whatnot
What posts to expect in February
Well, guys, I’m running low on creativity… I do have posts from Maras, Peru; Bwabwata National Park, Namibia; Tajikistan border crossings; Northern Italy, and my winter visit to Between Beaches, Alaska coming up next month. But I may take a little break from writing new blog posts for a minute… but I’m sure I’ll be back in late winter or early spring with more.